WEEK ONE: Step+Sleep-what do we do?
GOAL OF THE WEEK:
To try sleep at least 49 hours in 7 days. In this first week of the challenge, we are asking you to track how many hours of sleep you have in one night & then the week. While keeping track of sleep- your point system this week is to count one hour of sleep as one point. For example - 49 hours = 49 sleep points. So at the end of this week - before Monday- please send your sleep & step totals to Denise.
WHAT DO WE DO?
- Try to get into a regular habit of sleep & wake time.
- Wind down-take time before your sleep time to listen to music or read.
- Unfortunately electronic devices tend to activate the brain - phones DOWN & in the other room at least 3 hours before.
- Rotate you mattress annually + buy a new mattress every 9-10 years.
- Take a bath before heading off to sleep, warm water can relax the body.
- Consider blacking out any light with eye blinders or using ear plugs for noise.
- Alcohol & heavy food can actually change the levels of sleep. Don’t go to bed hungry or stuffed.
- Manage your stress levels by writing in a journal or mediating to an app or download.
- Limit daytime naps, and/or allow for “rest” periods during the day.
- If you do wake up in the middle of the night, try and not fight it and use the time to journal your “to-do” list, or read for awhile.
- Get outdoors more often during the day, natural light can even out hormone levels which can aid sleep patterns.
- Drink enough water daily.